On 3 December 2008, the European Commission took decision No K(2008) 7504 on the the provision of financial assistance for the common interest project No 2007-LT-91601-P Development of IA Transport corridor in the field of the trans-European transport network (TEN-T). In accordance with the mentioned decision the assistance of 1.1 million EUR will be allocated for the implementation of the project above. The total estimated value of the project is 13.9 million EUR.
The following works on the road Riga–Šiauliai–Tauragė–Kaliningrad are planned to be performed:
- Replacement of the existing and construction of new guard rails on km 69.185–79.428
- Road pavement strengthening and widening on sections km 105.00–119.80 and 178.40–181.14
- Construction of road fencing on sections km 10.41–11.21, 29.5–30.42 and 140.59–151.76.
When the project is completed, the following benefits will be achieved:
- Improved transport conditions for local and transit transport travelling from Latvia to Poland and Western Europe
- Reduced accident rate
- Reduced negative environmental impact
- Increased pavement structural strength for maximum permissible load from 10 to 11.5 tonnes
- Suspended pavement degradation and extended pavement life cycle
- Eliminated deep ruts, causing danger for safe traffic